It is a fact that even the smallest action that we perform has a lasting effect on the environment. We can start saving the environment b going green at home. This gives us the opportunity to reduce their impact on environment and also ensures that clean air and water are available for our future generations. You can start by making small inexpensive changes at home which will make a difference in the environment.
How to go green at home
You can start by trying these few easy to follow rules which will lead you toward going green.
- You can start by using less electricity. You can switch to compact fluorescent bulbs by replacing an old incandescent bulb. Compact fluorescent bulbs lasts up to 10 times longer and saves around 75% in energy use. You can also install a programmable thermostat which can be set to use less A.C or heat when you’re busy in your work. By using thermostat you can lower your energy bills as well as move towards going green.
- You can start saving on gas and fuel by cutting down frequent visits to the grocery shops. You can make a list of all that you would need and shop for everything at one time. If all of us cut down on our frequent shopping trips by half we will save on a huge amount of gas. You should also remember to follow BYOB (bring your own bag) to decrease the usage of plastic which highly pollutes the environment.
- Zilch your habit for running the washer for one stained dress. You can give your spills a sponge bath with a pre soak of natural satin remover. You can then run your washer when it is fully loaded. You will save galloons of water and also on your electricity bills by only running these appliances when necessary.
- Leave your lawn clippings right where they fall – they’ll release nitrogen into your lawn so you can use about 25 percent less fertilizer. Less fertilizer means less nitrogen runoff into our waterways you can stop cleaning up after your lawn maintenance efforts and you can rejoice using the homemade fertilizers.
- You can save a lot of electricity by using the dishwasher but ditching the drying cycle. Just by flipping the last cycle you can save a lot of electricity and cut down on your electricity bills as well.
- There are many people who do not unplug and appliances when they are not using them. If you start the ritual of unplugging all the appliances that are not under use will save around 40 % of the energy
- We can start conserving paper by moving toward using cloth napkins. Reviews state that if the American cut down the usage of at least one paper napkin in a day we would conserve the annual paper usage of 58 Americans
- You must have noticed that many people feel woozy while they paint their house. This is because many paints release organic compounds which are not very healthy. You can move toward using eco friendly paints which is made up of renewable substance or with less organic compounds.
- Recycle, reuse and compost follow this principle and send as little amount as possible to the landfills. Compost yard waste and kitchen scraps.
- You can move towards installing low flow shower heads which produce strong water pressure which using less water.